1916 Centenary Chapel at Glasnevin Cemetery
The design for the new 1916 Centenary Chapel at Glasnevin Cemetery aims to provide for both a contemplative space to remember the recently deceased, but also to offer a public space of meditation and hope.
The chapel´s appearance is displayed in the form of a monolithic cube, leaned towards the arriving visitors and the graves of the cemetery, and creating a strong presence.
The carillon on the eastern part of the roof induces a soft and peaceful acoustic sound frame through the cemetery, when the wind sweeps over the roof in direction of the graves.
The introverted patio is composed as a peaceful space, framed by floral-perforated concrete walls, a bench and a tree symbolizing life and hope. The main chapel room (temple space) is located in a round-shaped dome, within the highest part of the building.
The facades of the Glasnevin Chapel are of exposed concrete. To demonstrate the interlude of durability and transience, the concrete walls have a floral, relief-like structured surface.